- ACCU held the Symposium “Artists of Children’s Books in Asia, Africa and Latin America” on 13 March, 2009, in Akihabara, Tokyo. We invited children’s book authors and publishers from Costa Rica, Japan, the Philippines and Sudan where they are facing different difficult circumstances.
Following the reading demonstration of two illustration books by Ms. Hayami Yu (Singer), the panellists shared thoughts on current issues in book development and children in their respective countries and discussed the roles of picture books in culturally diverse societies and messages for children.
* Profiles of the panellists in the booklet below (PDF).
ACCU published a booklet for the Symposium which contains panellists’ papers and “Fathers’ Guide to Reading Kids Stories”. The booklet was distributed to participants at the symposium and concerned organisations and institutions to be utilised by teachers and librarians throughout the world.
*You can download the booklet by clicking the thumbnail or each content below.
- Profiles of the Reader and Panellists
- Outlines of Panellists’ Presentations
- The Complicated Pleasure of Children’s Books・・・Karina Bolasco (Philippines)
- Current Situation of Illustrators and Children in Costa Rica・・・Wen Hsu (Costa Rica)
- The Current Situation for Illustrators and Children’s Books in Sudan・・・Alaeldin Elgizouli Naeim (Sudan)
- Children, Festivals and Traditional Culture・・・Tajima Yukihiko (Japan)
- Picture Books Are More than Just Educational Tools・・・Tanaka Naoto (Japan)