History of ACCU
- 50th anniversary of ACCU
- New website (Japanese) released.
- New pamphlet published. Agreement with UNESCO Asia-Pacific Centre of Education for International Understanding (APCEIU) concluded.
- MEXT International Exchange Programme for Primary and Secondary Teachers launched. ACCU moves to Kandajinbocho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
- Activities as a UNESCO GAP partner started.
- High School Model UN programme launched.
- Tokyo office reorganised into three divisions (General Affairs, International Exchange, Education Cooperation) under two departments (General Affairs and Programme).
- UNESCO Associated School support programme launched.
- Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) programme launched.
- Protection of Intellectual Property programme launched.
- Tokyo office reorganised into two departments (General Affairs and Programme) and four divisions (General Affairs, Planning, Culture, Education). ACCU Invitation Programme for International Education Exchange of Teachers and Professionals launched. United Nations University (UNU) International Education Exchange Programme launched.
- Ceremony to celebrate ACCU’s 30th anniversary held.
- Planning Section established in General Affairs Division. International Exchange Programme for Promotion of International Cooperation and Mutual Understanding launched. Training Courses on Cultural Heritage Protection launched.
- Cultural Heritage Protection Cooperation Office (Nara) opened.
- Data Bank on Traditional/Folk Performing Arts in Asia and the Pacific launched.
- ACCU programmes expanded to Central Asia. Package Learning Materials for Environment (PLANET) launched.
- Capacity Building Workshop of LRCs launched.
- Literacy Promotion Division established within the Book Development Department. ACCU World Photo Contest held.
- Literacy Resource Centre for Girls and Women (LRC) programme launched.
- UNESCO/ACCU World Photo Contest held at UNESCO Headquarters. Mobile Teams of Experts for the Documentation and Promotion of Intangible Cultural Heritage programme launched.
- Cooperation in UNESCO APPREB Network Activities started.
- Ceremony to commemorate ACCU’s 20th anniversary held. Animation Co-production Programme launched.
- Campaign for Safeguarding of Cultural Heritage of Mankind Located in the Region started. Sub-Regional Workshop on the Development of Basic Literacy Learning Materials launched.
- International Literacy Year Picture Book published.
- Noma International Literacy Fund established.
- ACCU Exhibition organised by UNESCO at UNESCO general conference in Paris. Dissemination Scheme of Local Versions of AJP Materials started.
- ACCU Literacy Prizes for Fully Illustrated Literacy Follow-up Materials established.
- Programme of Sending of an International Experts Team to National Literacy Workshops in the Member States started.
- Regional Workshop for Literacy/NFE Personnel in Rural Areas in Asia and the Pacific launched.
- Ceremony to commemorate ACCU’s 10th anniversary held. Asian/Pacific Joint Production Programme of Materials for Neo-literates in Rural Areas (AJP) launched.
- ACCU programmes expanded to the Pacific region.
- Library established. Regional Training Seminars for Cultural Personnel started. Noma Concours for Picture Book Illustrations started.
- Co-production of Audio-Visual Materials (AVCP) launched.
- Photo Contest and Travelling Exhibitions launched. Group Visits by Japanese UNESCO leaders launched.
- Photo Travelling Exhibition in Asia project started.
- Music Materials Co-production Programme (MCP) launched.
- Mobile Teams of Experts for Book Production Training Courses launched.
- 1st Experts Meeting on Regional Co-operation in UNESCO Cultural Activities held. Periodicals published in English and Japanese. Asian/Pacific Copublication Programme (ACP) launched.
- ACCU established on 26 April. Publicity Programme for the Safeguarding of Cultural Heritage launched.
Prizes and Honours
- Japan Book Publishers Association President’s Prize
- UNESCO International Literacy Prize
- Letter of appreciation from National Federation of UNESCO Associations in Japan
- UNESCO 50th Anniversary Commendation by the Minister of Education; Translation Publishing Award
- UNESCO Picasso Medal, Jan Amos Comenius Medal
- International Book Prize
- Foreign Minister’s Commendation
- World Communications Year Commemorative Award; Japan Foundation Special Prize
- Translation Publishing Award
- International Children’s Year Commemorative Andersen Prize
- Translation Publishing Award
- Commendation by the Minister of Education
About the organization
Date of establishment
April 26, 1971
Purpose of establishment
ACCU was established to implement programmes to promote human resource development and mutual exchange in the field of education and culture with countries in the Asia-Pacific, to contribute to cultural promotion and mutual understanding between Japan and countries in the region.
What is a public interest
A public interest incorporated foundation is approved by the Public Interest Commission of the Cabinet Office as an organisation that conducts activities in the public interest.
Representative Director, Chairman CHO Fujio
Former Senior Adviser to the board, Toyota Motor Corporation
Representative Director, Director General TAMURA Tetsuo
Director General, Shibuya Senior and Junior High School
Directors (10 members)
- ADACHI NaokiSpecial Adviser, Toppan Printing Co., Ltd.
- OIKAWA ShoichiRepresentative Director, Chairman of the Board, Senior Deputy Editor-in-Chief
- KASAI ToshiyukiChairperson Emeritus, Central Japan Railway Company
- KANEMARU Tokuo Executive Vice President and Board Member, Kodansha Ltd.
- KISO IsaoPresident, Chiba Institute of Science and Former Ambassador, Permanent Delegate of Japan to UNESCO
- SUGIE KazuoDirector General, Central Council for the Promoting of Industrial Education
- KOHSAKA SetsuzoChairperson and Director General, The Japan Kanji Aptitude Testing Foundation
- MIKI ShigemitsuHonorary Adviser, MUFJ Bank, Ltd.
- MOGI YusaburoHonorary Chief Executive Officer and Chairperson of the Board of Directors, Kikkoman Corporation
- MORIMOTO SusumuDirector, Cultural Heritage Promotion Cooperation Office, ACCU
Auditors (3 members)
- OGA MasahiroPresident and Chief Executive Officer, Shogakukan Inc.
- KOHMURA MasaoCertified Public Accountant
- TAMURA ToshiakiDeputy Director, Aoba Gakuen
Councilors (7 members)
- IIJIMA MasaoSecretary General, National Council of Prefectural Boards of Education
- KURODA KazuoDean and Professor, Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies, Waseda University
- TAKAGIWA ItsukoVice Principal, Shibuya Senior and Junior High School
- HIGUCHI SeiichiExecutive Director, Japan Book Publishers Association
- FUKUSHIMA YasushiSecretary General, Japan Private High School Foundation
- MIKAMI KazuyukiFormer President, Miyagi University of Education
- WATANABE RyoProfessor Emeritus, National Institute for Educational Policy Research
Advisers (Honorary position, 10 members)
- ISHIHARA KunioCounselor, Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
- INOUE MasayukiPresident, Japan Educational Exchanges and Services
- SASAKI MasamineAdviser, National Museum of Nature and Science
- SATO TeiichiHonorary Director, Tokyo National Museum
- SHINO MitsukoDirector General for Cultural Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- SUZUKI YujiDirector-General, National Federation of UNESCO Associations in Japan
- NAKANO RyokoActress and Director, Will International Culture Exchange Center
- NOGUCHI NoboruAdvisor, National Federation of UNESCO Associations in Japan
- HAYASHI AzusaFormer Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the Kingdom of Belgium
- MATSUURA KoichiroFormer Director-General, UNESCO
ACCU Nara (Cultural Heritage Protection Cooperation Office)
- ACCU Nara collaborates with international organisations such as UNESCO, International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM), and Japanese institutions such as the National
- Institutes for Cultural Heritage to conduct training for personnel in cultural heritage preservation and disseminating information on cultural heritage preservation.
- ACCU Nara website
Asia-Pacific Cultural Centre for UNESCO(ACCU)
- Corporate name
- Asia-Pacific Cultural Centre for UNESCO(ACCU)
- Date of establishment
- April 26, 1971
1-32-7F Publishers Club Bldg,
Kanda Jimbocho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0051 JAPAN
Phone: +81-3-5577-2851FAX: +81-3-5577-2854
Nara Prefectural General Office 1F
757. Horen-cho, Nara 630-8113 Japan
Phone: +81-742-20-5001FAX: +81-742-20-5701